Wednesday, May 02, 2007

I just got home from a party and it's late, so allow me this short diatribe.

I've always wondered about the student council practice of cheering during assembly. You know, when some cca wins something significant and they all pop out to perform some cheer. Whose idea was that? What purpose does it serve?

It cerainly doesnt make me feel any more congratulated. Trust me, when people perform impressive feats, it's the quiet respect and silent admiration that matters most - not some garbled cheering with plastic faces.

Have i ever mentioned how atrocious NJ cheers are? Not only is that yahhh thing fast, its contents make it impossible to pronounce coherently.

So it's supposed to go like this -
"To serve and strive and not to yield, NJC all the way, all the way NJC!"

But what we hear is this -
"Toservatstrivanottoyield. . . you get the picture"

If you want to hear some proper cheering, do drop by SJI.

Really its embarassing, and totally unneeded.

-----------------------------------------------

On a side note, I don't know who was responsible for playing rock and metal in the canteen on Monday, but kudos to you. Its a whole lot better than the pop and mass dance garbage I hear occasionally. Now, I don't discriminate against particular music genres, I just know a good riff when I hear one.

I read in someone's KI paper an article on how aesthetics is concerned with reasons, while psychology focuses on causes. Put simply, to the question of "Why does this sound nice?", an answer from psychology would be "Because it makes me feel happy." From an aesthetic point of view, it may be because the bars all have 8 notes, or the tempo is a certain value.

So then, let me be so forward as to suggest that there is an aesthetic reason for why some music is nice, and others are trash. Put simply, good taste is objective. Yea, a paradox ain't it? Reminds me that I've GP tomorrow.

Bah, shall elaborate if I have time.

Posted by Calvin at 1:09 am